September 25, 2019
Manager, Category Management
Share/print this jobapply now
Based in Parsippany, New Jersey, B&G Foods and its subsidiaries manufacture, sell and distribute high-quality, branded shelf-stable and frozen foods across the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. With B&G Foods’ diverse portfolio of more than 50 brands you know and love, including Back to Nature, B&G, B&M, Cream of Wheat, Green Giant, Las Palmas, Le Sueur, Mama Mary’s, Maple Grove Farms, Mrs. Dash, New York Style, Ortega, Polaner, SnackWell’s, Spice Islands and Victoria, there’s a little something for everyone. For more information about B&G Foods and its brands, please visit www.bgfoods.com.
Job Description: The Manager of Category Management leads the development of category-based strategies, selling stories and analytical tools to position B&G Foods as the category experts in priority categories. He/She will own and lead category work on assortment optimization and shelf management, and collaborate with Trade Marketing and Marketing Insights Team on pricing and promotion insights. The role also serves as the key linkage with the Field-based category resources to deploy insights, tools and selling decks, plus share best practices.
Assortment optimization focuses on collaborating with Sales and Marketing to create a distribution strategy and priorities that optimizes sales and profitability for B&G and retailers using the appropriate assortment rationalization insights and tools. The Manager of Category Management will assist in monitoring performance against achieving annual distribution objectives for core items and new product launches.
He/She owns creating and maintaining our shelf management strategy and shelving principles for priority categories. This requires extensive collaboration with the Marketing Insights Team to leverage available CDT and Path to Purchase insights, as well as partner on our shelf strategy for innovation that expands into adjacent categories. The Manager of Category Management owns the selection, deployment, training and ongoing maintenance for the best in class planogram software/tools and product image database. Lastly, the role is responsible for tracking the Customer shelf reset schedule for all B&G categories to insure the Field is fully prepared for annual line reviews.
Once the fundamental capabilities are in place for best in class assortment optimization and shelf management, and overall category management expertise, the Manager of Category Management will help guide the organization on opportunities for future state category reinvention and customer/channel specific primary research needed to elevate our thought leadership with top Customers.
Lastly, he/she will provide analytical expertise to identify retail trends and insights for the category, customers/channels, competition and B&G brands to identify issues and opportunities by leveraging data from a variety of sources (i.e., Nielsen POS and HH Panel, Spectra, Mintel, Market Track and customer-specific POS and shopper data). Key insights and trends will be coordinated to develop persuasive Sales and Marketing presentations used to expand and protect B&G market share, distribution, shelf space and assortment for all categories and brands.
· Create compelling category selling stories to enable win/win outcomes for B&G and customers
· Implement discipline approach to assortment optimization to deliver distribution priorities for core and new items
· Create shelf management strategy and shelving principles for priorities categories and develop appropriate selling tools for the Field-based category team
· Partner with the Marketing insights team to expand B&G’s research learning plan to include critical category and shopper insights to enable Sales execution
· Work in a highly collaborative manner with internal partners, Field Sales and Customers
· Analyze data and make recommendations to Sales, Marketing and Trade Management to enhance our 4 P’s strategies
· Monitor retail trends and insights for the category, competition and customer/channels to identify new opportunities to grow our Brands
· Manage vendors and budgets for planogram tools and ad hoc shopper insight work
· Identify, create and maintain a library of frequently used reports, graphs and analyses to measure performance against key execution priorities
Experience, Skills, Education:
· Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably with a concentration in Business, Marketing, or Economics.
· 7-10 years of relevant Category Management experience required within a Food or CPG company.
· Extensive and proven experience working with Nielsen Answers Core, Spectra data, and Panel Data including knowledge of Nielsen Nitro and Spectra software.
· Strong analytical skills are required. Including the ability to analyze multiple sources of data and recommend actions based on key findings.
· Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
· Strong communication, writing and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and manage timelines.
· Ability to work independently & multi-task well.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
B&G Foods is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please see www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf.