April 04, 2019
Share/print this jobapply now
Job Description: Building Technician
Based in Parsippany, New Jersey, B&G Foods and its subsidiaries manufacture, sell and distribute high-quality, branded shelf-stable and frozen foods across the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. With B&G Foods’ diverse portfolio of more than 50 brands you know and love, including Back to Nature, B&G, B&M, Cream of Wheat, Green Giant, Las Palmas, Le Sueur, Mama Mary’s, Maple Grove Farms, Mrs. Dash, New York Style, Ortega, Polaner, SnackWell’s, Spice Islands and Victoria, there’s a little something for everyone. For more information about B&G Foods and its brands, please visit www.bgfoods.com.
Performs routine preventive maintenance on physical structures and building systems as necessary. Replace defective electrical fixtures, paints and maintains various plant structures, repairs woodwork, plumbing fixtures and drywall. Performs preventive maintenance on HVAC mechanical systems as directed by engineering and maintenance management.
• Performs repairs on electrical wiring, replaces lamps and defective switches, and wire fixtures. Performs minor electrical installations limited to facility needs as directed by supervisor.
• Repairs and replaces building utility pipes, fittings, traps and fixtures that include, but are not limited to heating/cooling, compressed air, water and drainage systems according to specifications and plumbing codes.
• Repairs plumbing fixtures such as sinks, commodes, water heaters, showers, traps, garbage disposal units and water softeners. Maintains plumbing systems by replacing washers in leaky faucets, mending burst pipes and opening clogged drains using appropriate hand tools and power tools.
• Performs general carpentry work that includes, but is not limited to replacing damaged ceiling tile, floor tile and wall coverings. Installing window shades, venetian blinds, curtain rods, wall/ceiling fans and door locks.
• Constructs repairs and maintains physical structures, walls and fixtures of wood, plywood, concrete and drywall. Using hand and power tools that conform to local building codes. Paints structures as directed.
• Services, repairs and performs preventive maintenance on HVAC systems. Including air conditioning, filtering, boilers and hot water systems.
• Cuts and bends tubing to correct length and shape, cuts and threads pipe and joins tubing or pipe to units using couplings, unions or solder joints.
• Installs air and water filters in units.
• Replaces defective breaker controls, thermostats, switches, fuses and electrical wiring to repair installed units, using electricians hand tools and test equipment.
• Assists in operating and maintenance of boilers and steam equipment such as; pumps, compressors and air condition system. Performing any combination of the following tasks; starts equipment, cleans and lubricates pumps, dusts tubes and removes slag from furnace tubes using steam or compressed air. Opens drains and washes boilers, packs valves, repairs pipelines and replaces gauge glasses. Regulates volume of water in boilers and in auxiliary equipment.
• Reads and interprets drawings, diagrams and prints of architectural, utility and mechanical systems to assist in maintaining and repairing units or structures.
• Performs general preventive maintenance including but not limited to lubrication of mechanical equipment and care cleaning of concrete, roofs and floors.
• Uses welding equipment to weld plumbing fixtures and metal parts to structural members.
• Documents actions taken and maintains system records that include maintenance and repairs to structures and equipment as required by company.
• Performs other duties as assigned-not an essential function.
Experience, Skills, Education:
• Knowledgeable of local ordinances, regulations and building codes.
• Demonstrates basic knowledge of electrical systems (e.g., wiring fixtures, replacing lamps and other minor electrical repairs) pipefitting and structural layout.
• Knowledge of materials, methods and appropriate tools to construct, replace and repair objects, structures and buildings. (i.e., plumbing/carpentry).
• Knowledge of various machines, i.e., their operations and parts; and skill in using work related tools including their benefits, repair and maintenance.
• Performs basic math operations (add, subtract, multiply and divide).
• Ability to trouble shoot and diagnose problems associated with work processes by applying knowledge of mechanics, layout and shop mechanics.
• Ability to effectively communicate and work with plan personnel.
• Ability to read and understand diagrams, blueprints and schematics as it relates to building structures, electrical and HVAC systems.
• Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
• Ability to work as a productive member of a team.
• Ability to organize and work on multiple tasks concurrently.
• Ability to effectively deal with persons representing widely divergent backgrounds, interests and points of view.Expectations:
• Displays high level of initiative, effort and commitment towards completing work tasks efficiently and safely.
• Demonstrates responsible behavior and attention to detail.
• Aligns behavior with needs, priorities and goals of the Department and Company.
• Maintain good attendance and is punctual when reporting to work.
• Demonstrates a commitment to high quality standards of workmanship.Education and Training:
• Possesses a high school diploma or GED.
• Must obtain forklift certification within 60 days after starting job.
• Prior industrial building maintenance experience helpful.
• Mechanical and electrical aptitude and or experience desirable.
• Successful candidate must pass Company required maintenance testing and demonstrate hands on ability and or knowledge in the following areas: mechanical maintenance, electricity, general carpentry and plumbing, use of work related tools, reading schematics and blueprints and use of test instruments and personal computer.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
B&G Foods is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please see