September 26, 2018
Associate Corporate Counsel
Share/print this jobapply now
Job Description: Associate Corporate Counsel
Based in Parsippany, New Jersey, B&G Foods, Inc. (NYSE: BGS) and its subsidiaries manufacture, sell and distribute high-quality, branded shelf-stable and frozen foods across the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. With our diverse portfolio of more than 50 brands you know and love, including B&G, B&M, Back to Nature, Cream of Wheat, Green Giant, Las Palmas, Le Sueur, Mama Mary’s, Maple Grove Farms, Mrs. Dash, New York Style, Ortega, Pirate’s Booty, Polaner, Spice Islands and Victoria, there’s a little something for everyone. For more information about B&G Foods and our brands, please visit www.bgfoods.com.
- B&G Foods is seeking a talented corporate attorney to join our Legal Department.
- This position will be based in Parsippany, New Jersey.
- Proactively counseling and supporting members of senior management and various departments on a broad range of matters, including by drafting, reviewing, negotiating and interpreting a wide variety of agreements, such as co-manufacturing; supply; warehousing, transportation and distribution; real estate; environmental; sales; marketing; licensing; information technology; and confidentiality agreements.
- Providing advice, drafting and reviewing policies and drafting and negotiating agreements on a broad range of employment matters, including HR practices, performance management, recruiting, hiring, termination, compensation and benefits, wage and hour, restrictive covenants, leaves of absence, investigations and labor relations.
- Assisting in the management of food law, employment and other litigation, including by:
- Assisting in the research and investigation of claims.
- Ensuring timely insurance notice and proactive claims management.
- Summarizing pertinent information from various sources for the purpose of evaluating claims and preparing discovery responses and answers to complaints.
- Assisting with the preparation of responses to subpoenas, complaints and legal claims.
- Tracking key litigation developments, legal holds and expenses.
- Assisting in the development of policies and procedures for the procurement of finished goods, commodities, ingredients and packaging materials.
- Assisting in the development of other policies, procedures and training as needed.
- Assisting with strategic transactions, including acquisitions and divestitures.
- Researching and advising various departments and members of senior management on emerging legislative and regulatory changes affecting B&G Foods.
- Suggesting and implementing improvements in processes, forms and operations.
- Keeping informed and continuing to develop expertise in above areas through on-the-job training, continuing legal education and reading.
Experience, Skills, Education:
- 3+ years of experience as an attorney at a top law firm or comparable in-house experience.
- Extensive experience drafting, reviewing, interpreting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial agreements. Additional experience in employment law and litigation is a strong plus.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of ethics.
- Highly motivated, pro-active team-player with a positive attitude and desire to learn and expand skill set and become a subject matter expert.
- Self-starter with a sense of urgency who is able to work independently and with minimal direction while at the same time keeping members of senior management appropriately informed.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, handle unanticipated situations effectively and work well under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Creativity and problem solving skills.
- Sound business and legal judgment, with the ability to balance business objectives and risk.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Exceptional attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Member in good standing with at least one U.S. state bar and the ability to serve as in-house corporate counsel in New Jersey.
- JD degree from a top U.S. law school.
- Bachelor’s degree from a top college or university.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
B&G Foods is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please see