- 3 tbls. vegetable oil
- 1 quart onions, chopped, divided
- 1 quart green bell pepper, chopped, divided
- 1 quart celery, chopped, divided
- 3 tbls. garlic, minced, divided
- 4 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 1/2 qrts. long-grain white rice
- 1 gallon canned whole peeled tomatoes in juice, chopped
- 1 1/2 qrts. beef or chicken stock
- 2 1/4 lbs. smoked sausage, sliced
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups parsley, minced
- 1/2 cup TRAPPEYS Red Devil Cayenne Pepper Sauce
In large rondo or large, straight-sided fry pan, heat oil; add 3 cups onion and cook 4 minutes or until limp. Add 3 cups green pepper, 3 cups celery and 2 tablespoon minced garlic and saute 5 minutes, stirring.
Add chicken and cook, stirring 8 to 10 minutes.
Add rice and cook, stirring often, until rice starts to brown.
Add tomatoes with juice, stock, sausage, cayenne pepper sauce and salt to taste. Bring to a simmer, cover and let cook 50 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.
Stir in reserved 1 cup onion, green pepper and celery and 1 tablespoon minced garlic along with parsley. Adjust seasonings and simmer 3 minutes. Keep warm to serve.
Yield: 24 Servings